This is the official logo for the Matariki public holiday in Aotearoa. Our logo celebrates the cluster itself. It symbolises how Matariki weaves us all together as a people, interconnected through our past present and future. If you’re interested in learning more about the meaning and significance of Matariki to Māori one place to start is in the Te Kāhui o Matariki Public Holiday Act. See the relevant section in te reo Māori here, and in English here.
This logo is a copyrighted work which was commissioned by The Office for Māori Crown Relations – Te Arawhiti in association with the Matariki Advisory Group and designed by Extended Whānau.
We grant you a license to use this logo so long as you comply with the following terms:
- Matariki is deeply entwined with Māori culture. We therefore ask that this logo is used respectfully for genuine purposes to support, celebrate and educate people about Matariki.
- This logo is the awesome creation of Tāmaki Mākaurau design company Extended Whānau. We ask that you respect what they have created by not altering or modifying the logo other than as permitted in these guidelines.
- Matariki is a community event and we want everyone to be able to share in it. This logo is free to use but must not be used for commercial gain. This means you can use the logo for your own purposes such as posting on social media or hosting events to celebrate Matariki but you may not use the logo to make money, such as selling items with the logo on them for a profit. If you aren’t sure whether your use is for commercial purposes or not please feel free to get in touch with us at email@example.com.
- When using this logo we ask that you bear in mind a few cultural and practical considerations to ensure the mātauranga (knowledge) behind this logo is respected. Please avoid using the logo on food, and in areas where it could be easily dirtied, damaged or destroyed. This includes using the logo on the floor where people walk. This logo must not be used in association with alcohol, gambling, fast food or tobacco.
If we find that you have used the logo in breach of these terms we may terminate your license to use the logo, and request that you immediately stop using the logo and delete or destroy any copies of the logo in your possession.
Printing your own merchandise
You must organise your own supplier for the merchandise and screen printer.
You may recoup the cost of paying for the merchandise and screen-printing from members of your organisation but you must not charge a mark up or make a profit off this. The license to use the tohu has been provided on these terms and could be revoked if you use the license for commercial gain. The tohu has been provided on a high trust basis and we ask that you respect the kaupapa and do not make a profit off it.
Please apply for use of this tohu at firstname.lastname@example.org
Matariki 2023 giveaway Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions (Terms)
Please read the following Terms carefully. These Terms applyto the Promotion undertaken by Te Māngai Pāho (Promoter). The Terms may beamended by the Promoter from time to time by updating the Terms on thePromoter's website.
- Eligible Participants in the Matariki giveaway will go into the draw to win 1 of 6 Matariki hoodies.
- The Promotion will start on Tuesday 27 June with winners being randomly selected from all eligible entries on Monday 3 July.
Conditions of Entry
- Participants agree to be bound by these Terms and any other requirements set out in the material relating to this Promotion.
- Entry is open to New Zealand residents who are 13 years of age or older.
- Entry to the Promotion is gained by tagging who you’re spending Matariki with, sharing the post to your story and following the @Mānawatiaamatariki page.
- A maximum of 1 entry per participant via the entry mechanisms will be eligible.
- By entering this Promotion, participants give the Promoter permission to contact them about the prize and Matariki activities.
- Participants will not:
a. engage in any conduct that may jeopardise the fair and proper conduct of the Promotion;
b. do anything that may diminish the good name or reputation of the Promoter or the Promotion; or
c. breach any law.
7. The Promoter reserves the right to request proof of any participant’s eligibility in the event that there is a doubt over their eligibility for the Promotion.
- The Promotion commences at 12:00pm (NZST) on Tuesday 27 June 2023 and ends at 9:00pm on Monday 3 July 2023 (NZST). The promotion will be run on Facebook and Instagram with six winners selected. Entries received after this closing time will be ineligible for the Promotion.
- Winners will be contacted by private message on the platform they participate on.
- If the Promoter, having used reasonable efforts, is unable to contact a winner within 48 hours following the draw, then the prize is forfeited, and an alternative winner will be selected at random.
- The Promoter's decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Promoter will use its reasonable efforts to distribute the prize to winners within 48hrs of the prize draw.
- The prize must be accepted as awarded. No cancellation, rebooking, or assignment will be allowed. The prize is non-transferable, exchangeable or redeemable for cash.
- Acceptance of the prize is deemed consent for the Promoter to use the winner’s details and photographs for promotional and media purposes without any further reference, payment or other compensation to the winner.
- The Promoter reserves the right to verify the validity of the winner.
Use of Personal Information
- Participants grant the Promoter the right to collect personal information for the purposes of communications and conducting the Promotion. Entry is conditional on providing this personal information.
- The collection of personal information will be in accordance with The Promoter’s privacy statement available at https://www.tmp.govt.nz/en/privacy-statement/ (as amended from time to time).
- The Promoter will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with either participation in this Promotion or with any prizes offered.
- Without limiting the previous paragraph, the Promoter is not liable for entries, prize claims or correspondence that is misplaced, misdirected, delayed, lost, incomplete, illegible or incorrectly submitted, or loss of, damage to or delay in delivery of prizes.
- If required by the Promoter, winners will sign a disclaimer and release forms provided by the Promoter before taking the prize.
- If this Promotion cannot run as planned for any reason beyond the Promoter's control, the Promoter may end, change, suspend or cancel the Promotion or disqualify affected entries.
- Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not waive those rights.
- The Promoter’s decisions in connection with all aspects of the Promotion are final